What are these Google IPs hammering on my DNS server?

John R. Levine johnl at iecc.com
Tue Dec 5 03:18:14 UTC 2023

On Mon, 4 Dec 2023, Damian Menscher wrote:
> have more redundancy/capacity).  Based on these estimates, we haven't
> treated mitigation of small attacks as a high priority.  If O(25Kpps)
> attacks are causing real problems for the community, I'd appreciate that
> feedback and some hints as to why your experience differs from the ISC BIND
> load-tests.

Thanks for your note.

Here's my problem, which I freely admit puts me way out at the tail of the
weird curve.  I run abuse.net which lets you look up abuse reporting
addresses for domains.  If you look up, say, bt.co.uk or mail.bt.co.uk,
it'll look the domain up in its internal database and tell you to send
reports to abuse at bt.com.

I provide lookups via a web site and a whois server, but it occurred to me
a while ago that it'd be much faster for everyone if I made a stunt DNS
server that does the lookups and synthesizes the answers, e.g.:

$ dig mail.bt.co.uk.contacts.abuse.net txt

;; OPT PSEUDOSECTION:
; EDNS: version: 0, flags:; udp: 1232
;; QUESTION SECTION:
;mail.bt.co.uk.contacts.abuse.net. IN	TXT

;; ANSWER SECTION:
mail.bt.co.uk.contacts.abuse.net. 43200	IN TXT	"abuse at bt.com"

The DNS server is a perl script I wrote a while ago that synthesizes
answers on the fly.  It can't be a normal DNS server because the mapping
from queries to responses is more complex than you can express with DNS
wildcards, and if a domain isn't in the database it returns a default of
abuse@<domain>.

I have two servers on two networks and normally it works fine until some
nitwit does a query flood, probably looking up every domain in every
message they see, or maybe an inept listwasher, and the two little perl
scripts just can't keep up.

What I would like is if large public DNS systems like yours refused to
look up anything in contacts.abuse.net, and I tell people that if they
want to use the DNS lookup, use your own DNS cache, similar to what DNSBLs
do.

I suppose I could try and do a split horizon hack on the parent server
(abuse.net itself is on ordinary NSD servers) and say the NS for
contacts.abuse.net is at 127.0.0.1, but as we've seen it's a challenge
keeping track of all the places your queries can come from.

Regards,
John Levine, johnl at taugh.com, Primary Perpetrator of "The Internet for Dummies",