What are these Google IPs hammering on my DNS server?

Damian Menscher damian at google.com
Mon Dec 4 18:21:10 UTC 2023

Google Public DNS (8.8.8.8) attempts to identify and filter abuse, and
while we think we're fairly effective for large attacks (eg, those above
1Mpps), it gets more challenging (due to risk of false positives) to
adequately filter small attacks.  I should note that we generally see the
attack traffic coming from botnets, or forwarding resolvers that blend the
attack traffic with legitimate traffic.

Based on ISC BIND load-tests [0], a single DNS server can handle O(1Mpps).
Also, no domain should be served by a single DNS server, so O(1Mpps) seems
like a safe lower-bound for small administrative domains (larger ones will
have more redundancy/capacity).  Based on these estimates, we haven't
treated mitigation of small attacks as a high priority.  If O(25Kpps)
attacks are causing real problems for the community, I'd appreciate that
feedback and some hints as to why your experience differs from the ISC BIND
load-tests.  With a better understanding of the pain-points, we may be able
to improve our filtering a bit, though I suspect we're nearing the limits
of what is attainable.

Since it was mentioned up-thread, I'd caution against dropping queries from
likely-legitimate recursives, as that will lead to a retry storm that you
won't like (based on a few reports of authoritatives who suffered outages,
the retry storm increased demand by 30x and they initially misdiagnosed the
root cause as a DDoS).  The technically correct (if not entirely practical)
mitigation for a DNS cache-busting attack laundered through open recursives
is to deploy DNSSEC and issue NSEC/NSEC3 responses to allow the recursives
to cache the non-existence of the randomized labels.

[0] https://www.isc.org/blogs/bind-performance-september-2023/

Damian
--
Damian Menscher :: Security Reliability Engineer :: Google :: AS15169