Hawaiian ILEC infrastructure and fire

scott surfer at mauigateway.com
Thu Aug 17 18:51:07 UTC 2023

On 8/17/23 6:28 PM, Michael Thomas wrote:

> On 8/17/23 11:26 AM, scott via NANOG wrote:
>>

>> I don't want to overwhelm the list, but since there's interest here's
>> something interesting I just now got from the electric company.  400
>> poles and 300 transformers.  Wow!
>
> Those of us from California and the west have watched this in abject
> horror and I myself was completely clueless this was possible.
>
> Mike, who lives 10 miles from where the Caldor fire started that burned
> all the way to Tahoe and grew up going to Paradise to visit my grandparents

Me too.  I have friends and family over there.  Even though I am not
(and they were not) affected it has had a big impact on my emotions.

Also, fto answer an an earlier email - I found the Paniolo cable we
connected to for the Lahaina MPLS node was a land run that was
underground, so it didn't get burned.

scott