Hawaiian ILEC infrastructure and fire

scott surfer at mauigateway.com
Thu Aug 17 18:26:12 UTC 2023

I don't want to overwhelm the list, but since there's interest here's
something interesting I just now got from the electric company.  400
poles and 300 transformers.  Wow!

scott

  Over the past week, I have been with our teams on Maui that have
helped safely restore power to 80% of the customers affected. Among
other efforts, we have deployed more than 400 Hawaiian Electric crew
members and contractors to Maui.

We are:

     Using a mobile substation at Lahainaluna to help restore power to
homes, schools and county facilities;

     Working with county officials to identify priority circuits to
bring stores, pharmacies, gas stations, water and wastewater facilities
and other key locations online as quickly as possible;

     Restoring service to hotels and resorts to be used to house
displaced residents, enabling them to move out of emergency shelters;

     Replacing some of the estimated 400 poles, 300 transformers and
other equipment damaged by the fires and high winds and conducting
extensive repairs in areas that are safe and accessible; and

     Shipping dozens of vehicles and pieces of specialized equipment
from O‘ahu and bringing in additional expert personnel and equipment
from the continental U.S.