Hawaiian ILEC infrastructure and fire

scott surfer at mauigateway.com
Thu Aug 17 18:20:02 UTC 2023

I missed some of the below yesterday.

"Though I am curious about the Paniolo cable landing in Lahaina. Did it
survive"

I believe a land section of the Paniolo cable was not burned and I think
that's what they used.  Perhaps it was actually the undersea part and I
just don't have access to that data.  One thing I do know is the Paniolo
cable is what allowed us to get the MPLS node back to the core so
quickly.  I feel pretty confident the CLS survived, but I have no actual
data on that.

"HICS and HIFN land in Kihei instead, right?"

Yes, but there was a second fire in the Kula area (a 1.5 hour drive from
Lahaina with no traffic) that was headed towards Kihei.  I think they
stopped it, but it was the same thing.  Homes burnt to the ground and a
LOT of fiber was burned up in Kula (1500-3500 feet above sea level).

"you would think they had microwave backup at minimum."

There is not very much microwave here.  There're issues with land and
microwave tower rights on an island that size in addition to the
geography which makes that an expensive alternative.  HT has some m/w on
the tops of the mountains, but no other companies that I am aware of can
get that done.

"I'm sure a few cells burned but there are over ten on the west side so
they didn't all burn."

I am not sure how that works, but many of the cell sites are/were on
buildings and such; not on towers.

"Feet on the ground are reporting they brought in at least a few COWS
(cellular on wheels/portable cell site trucks)"

Yes, they did that with satellite back to their core.

scott