Jon Postel Re: 202210301538.AYC

Abraham Y. Chen aychen at avinta.com
Sun Oct 30 22:41:45 UTC 2022

Dear Noah:

0)  "Iterations often times leads back to the beginning.": Thanks for
distilling this thread to a concise principle. Perhaps your name was
given with the foresight of this discussion? 😉

1)  As a newcomer to the arena, I have always been perplexed by the
apparent collective NIH (Not Invented Here) syndrome of the Internet
community. While promoting openness, everything seems to go with "my way
or noway". Of course, each Internet practice or convention was
determined by some sort of consensus by majority opinion. However, once
it gets going, it appears to be cast in concrete. There is a huge
inertia against considering alternatives or improvements. Some of them
even appear to be volunteered "policing" without full understanding of
the background. Just like how practically all democratic governments are
facing these days, a well-intended crowd can be led by an influencer to
derail a social normality. It does not seem to me that strictly adhering
to "one person one vote" rule can guide us toward a productive future.

2)  To follow what you are saying, I wonder how could we think "out of
the box" or go "back to the future", before it is too late for our world
wide communications infrastructure to serve as a reliable daily tool
without being a distraction constantly? That is, four decades should be
long enough for our Internet experiments to be reviewed, so that we can
try navigating out of the current chaos, or start with an alternative.

Regards,

Abe (2022-10-30 18:41 EDT)