ipv4/25s and above

Mark Tinka mark at tinka.africa
Thu Nov 17 11:36:20 UTC 2022

On 11/16/22 16:39, Dave Taht wrote:
> I am kind of curious as to the distribution of connections to smaller
> companies and other entities that need more than one ipv4 address, but
> don't run BGP. So, for as an ISP or infrastructure provider, what is
> the typical percentage nowadays of /32s /31s /30s... /25s of stuff
> that gets run "elsewhere"?
>
> Is there any correlation between the number of IPs a customer gets and
> the amount of bandwidth they buy?
>
> Obviously "retail", home use is /32s and there's an increasing amount
> of CGNAT, but I can't help but imagine there are thousands of folk
> running /27s and /29s for every /24 or /22 out there.
>
> I've been paying 15/month for a /29 for forever, but barely use it.

For our DIA/Enterprise business, we offer customers a /30 for p2p link,
and a /29 as initial standard for onward assignment within their LAN.

Interestingly, most customers will NAT on the p2p address space, and
barely use the onward assignment. In such cases, link migrations cause
issues, because customers bake their internal configurations against
those p2p IP addresses, which are pegged to specific edge routers on our
side that can't move due to our need to minimize the iBGP footprint in
the network. It's not a major issue in absolute terms, but a headache
nonetheless.

We can offer customers up to a /24 maximum (i.e., we will let the /29
expand into a /24), and no more. If they need more than a /24, time to
speak to AFRINIC.

We don't charge for address space. Our Sales people want us to, but we
don't feel it makes sense. It's not a big-enough deterrent for us to
keep IPv4 stock. And when we do run out of IPv4 space, it will be like
having billions of $$ on a deserted island.

Mark.