Cost-effectivenesss of highly-accurate clocks for NTP

Eric S. Raymond esr at thyrsus.com
Sun May 15 17:05:34 UTC 2016

Mel Beckman <mel at beckman.org>:
> The upshot is that there are many real-world situations where
> expensive clock discipline is needed. But IT isn't, I don't think,
> one of them, with the exception of private SONET networks (fast
> disappearing in the face of metro Ethernet).

Thank you, that was very interesting information.  I'm not used to thinking
of IT as a relatively low-challenge environment!

You're implicitly suggesting there might be a technical case for
replacing these T1/T3 trunks with some kind of VOIP provisioning less
dependent on accurate time synch.  Do you think that's true?