Cost-effectivenesss of highly-accurate clocks for NTP

Mel Beckman mel at beckman.org
Sun May 15 15:21:02 UTC 2016

I have deployed rubidium-disciplined clocks at cellular carriers, where money is no object (look at your cellphone bill), typically for $20K-$100K for redundant clocks. The holdover time on these is supposed to be days, but we've never tested that. I think I'd better.

But a more critical deployment of rubidium clocks is in cash-strapped public safety institutions, such as local police dispatch centers. Timing is crucial for the squad car communication systems, which these days are all digital, based on wireless T1/T3 trunks to remote repeaters. The clocking on these trunks can't drift much before voice communication fails due to repeater outages. The telecom gear has OXCO clocks that can provide a few hours holdover. A rubidium clock onsite provides coverage for longer outages.

In these installations I have tested GPS outages of up to a week without enough clock drift to knock out the Tx links. I've never gone longer than that though, so I don't know the actual breaking point. But if you lose that rubidium clock, things go south in a less than a day.

The cash-strapping comes into play when municipal bean counters eyeball the rubidium clock(s) and start thinking they can get by with a cheaper substitute.

The upshot is that there are many real-world situations where expensive clock discipline is needed. But IT isn't, I don't think, one of them, with the exception of private SONET networks (fast disappearing in the face of metro Ethernet).

 -mel beckman