Advertising rented IPv4 prefix from a different ASN.

Martin Hannigan hannigan at gmail.com
Fri Aug 5 16:59:09 UTC 2016

On Thu, Aug 4, 2016 at 3:39 PM, Andrew <andrew at vianet.ca> wrote:
> Hello List,

[ clip, plenty of advice on these points ]

> I feel if we just adverse the prefix it get put on a bogon list for prefix
> hijacking.  This space is rented long term but they are not interested in
> reassigning the space to us.  They also want to keep advertising their
> prefix as one contiguous block.

You will also likely need a letter of authorization from the network
lending you their space for your upstreams or others.

Here's a usable template that you can customize for your own purposes.
Hope this helps:

           http://bit.ly/LOA-0805201601

Caveats, IPv6? Be sure to consult with lawyers, comply with your
favorite RIR policy and compare the cost of "renting" to "leasing" or
acquiring on the open market. There are a number of sources to acquire
IPv4 address space easily found using your favorite search engine.

You may be also be eligible for a last /22 allocation from RIPE if you
qualify under their current policy. See http://bit.ly/LASTCALL-22 for
further information.

Best Regards,

-M<