Advertising rented IPv4 prefix from a different ASN.

Chris Welti chris.welti at switch.ch
Fri Aug 5 14:27:34 UTC 2016

I would not recommend to do that.

If you really do this, please make sure that the owner of the supernet (in this case the university) also does transit for the subnet (which they should as they are supposed to accept and forward traffic for the whole aggregate that they are announcing).

Otherwise, for networks that only do partial routing (basically defaults from transits + peering routes), this will create a blackhole in case they peer with the ISP that announces only the supernet,
but not with the ISP that announces the subnet, because traffic will always be routed towards the announcement of the supernet only.
Same applies if the subnet gets filtered by some people for policy reasons (like no more-specifics of PA space, or smaller than /24...).

Also, be careful that the owner of the supernet doesn't apply inbound anti-spoofing filters at their borders towards transits and peers for traffic from your subnet that is part of their supernet.

Chris