BCOP appeals numbering scheme -- feedback requested

George, Wes wesley.george at twcable.com
Fri Mar 13 14:37:10 UTC 2015

On 3/12/15, 7:48 PM, "Owen DeLong" <owen at delong.com> wrote:

>Then, just like the RFCs, maintain the BCOP appeal numbering as a
>sequential monotonically increasing number and make the BCOP editor
>responsible for updating the index with the publishing of each new or
>revised BCOP.
>
>Note, IMHO, a revised BCOP should get a new number and the previous
>revision should be marked “obsoleted by XXXXX” and it’s document status
>should reflect “Obsoletes XXXX, XXXX, and XXXX” for all previous
>revisions. The index should probably reflect only BCOPs which have not
>been obsoleted

A note of caution:
Please don't exactly replicate the RFC series's model where the existing
document can only be updated by new documents but is not always completely
replaced/obsoleted such that the reader is left following the trail of
breadcrumbs across multiple documents trying to figure out what the union
of the two (or 3 or 14) "current" documents actually means in terms of the
complete guidance. If what you're suggesting is actually a full
replacement of the document so that the new version is complete and
standalone, I think that's better, but really I don't understand why these
can't be more living documents (like a Wiki) instead of just using the
server as a public dropbox for static files. The higher the drag for
getting updates done, the more likely they are to go obsolete and be less
useful to the community.

Thanks,

Wes George

Anything below this line has been added by my company’s mail server, I
have no control over it.