Residential VSAT experiences?

Jared Mauch jared at puck.Nether.net
Tue Jun 23 14:02:51 UTC 2015

On Mon, Jun 22, 2015 at 09:11:17PM -0400, TR Shaw wrote:
> I don’t know what your location is but a wireless internet provider using Canopy or Ubiquity or whatever is much more preferable. Also cellular is used in “remote” locations with good results.

	Using the UBNT gear if you can put together a link is really
what you want to do.  The equipment is cheap as in disposable and if you
install it properly you should have almost no issues even with adverse
weather.  Even using something like the NSM5 back to back and constructing a
multi-link path will end up producing nice results.

	Make sure you have clear line of sight and plan for any tree
growth along the route.  I've been using a WISP that has the UBNT gear for
years now with no outages attributed to the equipment.

> I have used SSH from a transatlantic flight but the delay can weigh on you ;-)

	I did as well this last time on my way to europe and it worked
better than I expected.

	- Jared

Jared Mauch  | pgp key available via finger from jared at puck.nether.net