Residential VSAT experiences?

TR Shaw tshaw at oitc.com
Tue Jun 23 01:11:17 UTC 2015

I don’t know what your location is but a wireless internet provider using Canopy or Ubiquity or whatever is much more preferable. Also cellular is used in “remote” locations with good results.

I know plenty of people "in the bush” that use these alternatives over VSat.  I use the above over VSat when I am out on fishing trips to remote locations.

For truly remote where there is no options other than VSat <sigh> you need to live with the latency problems for now. Iridum is currently too slow and too costly.  Maybe LEO or MEO in the future but not now.

I have used SSH from a transatlantic flight but the delay can weigh on you ;-)

Tom