eBay is looking for network heavies...

Justin M. Streiner streiner at cluebyfour.org
Tue Jun 9 12:01:28 UTC 2015

On Mon, 8 Jun 2015, Yardiel D. Fuentes wrote:

> This discussion is always reminisced of questions such as: Why would I
> want to learn Algebra or Calculus in college ? or why would I want to go
> to college at all ? .. the student argues that calculus or college is
> hardly ever used, if at all, in a job …  the most sensible perspective
> has always been:  It is not only about the knowledge itself, but how
> learning those subjects train your mind to tackle technical
> problems…same in networking… Some of the best interview questions
> are those that pose a problem and ask you to tackle it by explaining
> your train of thought…It requires both: knowledge and how to apply
> it...

Your point is well taken, but being asked to recite section 4.2.1 of RFC
XXXX is:
1. little more than rote memorization
2. says nothing about a candidate's skills or critical thinking abilities.

For the record, there are times in my professional career where I've made
some use of algebra and calculus :)

jms