net neutrality and peering wars continue

Benson Schliesser bensons at queuefull.net
Thu Jun 20 12:44:53 UTC 2013

On Jun 19, 2013, at 23:41, "Siegel, David" <David.Siegel at level3.com> wrote:

> Well, with net flow Analytics, it's not really the case that we don't have a way of evaluating the relative burdens.  Every major net flow Analytics vendor is implementing some type of distance measurement capability so that each party can calculate not only how much traffic they carry for each peer, but how far.

Admittedly, it's been a few years since I looked at such tools... So
please help me understand: does the tool evaluate distance (and
therefore burden) as it extends into the peer's network, or just into
the local network? And in either case, is this kind of data normalized
and shared between peers? It seems like there could be a mechanism
here to evaluate fairness of burdens, but I'm skeptical that these
tools are used in such a way. I'd be glad to be incorrect. ;)

Cheers,
-Benson