net neutrality and peering wars continue

Siegel, David David.Siegel at Level3.com
Thu Jun 20 14:11:20 UTC 2013

The tools cannot estimate burden into the peers network very well, particularly when longest-exit routing is implement to balance the mileage burden, so each party shares their information with each other and compares data in order to make decisions.

It's not common, but there are a handful of peers that share this information with each other.

Dave

-----Original Message-----
From: Benson Schliesser [mailto:bensons at queuefull.net]
Sent: Thursday, June 20, 2013 6:45 AM
To: Siegel, David
Cc: North American Network Operators' Group
Subject: Re: net neutrality and peering wars continue

On Jun 19, 2013, at 23:41, "Siegel, David" <David.Siegel at level3.com> wrote:

> Well, with net flow Analytics, it's not really the case that we don't have a way of evaluating the relative burdens.  Every major net flow Analytics vendor is implementing some type of distance measurement capability so that each party can calculate not only how much traffic they carry for each peer, but how far.

Admittedly, it's been a few years since I looked at such tools... So please help me understand: does the tool evaluate distance (and therefore burden) as it extends into the peer's network, or just into the local network? And in either case, is this kind of data normalized and shared between peers? It seems like there could be a mechanism here to evaluate fairness of burdens, but I'm skeptical that these tools are used in such a way. I'd be glad to be incorrect. ;)

Cheers,
-Benson