Will wholesale-only muni actually bring the boys to your yard?

Jay Ashworth jra at baylink.com
Sat Feb 2 17:54:22 UTC 2013

----- Original Message -----
> From: "Brandon Ross" <bross at pobox.com>

> On Sat, 2 Feb 2013, Jay Ashworth wrote:
>
> > Available Providers.
> >
> > The City, remember, won't be doing L3, so we'd need to find someone
> > who was doing that. You know how big a job it is to be a cable company?
>
> I would think in this model that the city would be prohibited from
> providing those services.

That is what I just said, yes, Brandon: the City would offer L1 optical
home-run connectivity and optional L2 transport and aggregation with
Ethernet provider hand-off, and nothing at any higher layers.

> Perhaps I live in a different world, but just about all of the small to
> midsize service providers I work with offer triple play today, and nearly
> all of them are migrating their triple play services to IP.

Really.  Citations?  I'd love to see it play that way, myself.

> If rural telco in Alabama or Mississippi can deliver triple play, surely a
> larger provider somewhere like NYC can do as well, no?

Well, I ain't no NYC, but... :-)

Cheers,
-- jra