shared address space... a reality!

Owen DeLong owen at
Wed Mar 14 13:41:21 CDT 2012

On Mar 14, 2012, at 7:41 AM, Christopher Morrow wrote:

> On Wed, Mar 14, 2012 at 7:54 AM, ML <ml at> wrote:
>> On 3/14/2012 2:22 AM, Christopher Morrow wrote:
>>> NetRange: -
>>> CIDR:
>>> OriginAS:
>> Did IANA have to justify this space to ARIN or was it just given to them no
>> questions asked because a draft RFC specified a need for a /10?
> see the discussion in PPML/arin-announce... my recollection is
> something like this happened (paraphrased for the tl/dr crowd):
> 1) someone wanted more 1918^H^H^Hshared-transition space
> 2) a policy proposal came to ARIN's PP meeting
> 3) the policy proposal ran around for a time making friends
> 4) the proposal passed and the ARIN BoT essentially got a message from
> IANA/IESG saying:
>  "Hey, before you leap... lookout, perhaps the IETF should weigh in?"

Well, actually, the ARIN board^H^H^H^H^HCEO went to IESG saying
"mother may I" would be a  more accurate description of the process.

> 5) an IETF draft was drafted (which later had a baby... so there are 2
> versions/parts flying about)

Actually, draft-weil was floated before the ARIN policy proposal IIRC.
The other draft (draft-bdgks) came after, essentially in response to the
statement by the ARIN board/CEO that getting the policy implemented
would require IESG approval.

> 6) the main draft was finalized and sent along to the RFC editor, and
> made into a BCP
>  <>
> 7) IANA received this /10 from ARIN

Otherwise, yeah, I think that about sums it up.