Verizon FiOS - is BGP an option?

Christopher Morrow morrowc.lists at gmail.com
Wed Mar 14 00:06:31 UTC 2012

On Tue, Mar 13, 2012 at 6:26 PM, Justin M. Streiner
<streiner at cluebyfour.org> wrote:
> All:
>
> I realize this might be a bit of a fool's errand, but I'm trying to
> determine if Verizon will speak BGP with FiOS business customers.  Their
> website is relatively lean on details.  Everything that mentions BGP points
> to VZB services, which does not appear to include FiOS.  Looking at the
> routing table, I do see several non-VZ ASNs downstream of AS19262, so it
> looks like it might be possible.
>
> If that is the case, could anyone lend any insight to get past the "what is
> BGP?" response that likely awaits from their salescritters?

So.... techsupport folks aside.. the product they sell is:

A) DHCP only, single address, dynamic
B) Single Static address (uplift of 25$/month I believe?)
C) 5 ips STATICALLY ROUTED AS /32's!! (WTF??) for 25$ above the
option-B above/month.

You can't bring your own space
You can't do BGP
You can get more than 5 ips (in 5 ip chunks I believe) for 25$/month
per chunk...

ip address rental, welcome to 1999!

Also, I know that on 701 the rate of BGP to non-BGP customers was
increasing and was at ~30% or so as of ~2007... You'd think that 19262
would see that, see the business opportunity and offer it? Though, I
suppose they DO see the business opportunity: "You want bgp? you want
to bring your own ips? you want more than a DHCP address? Pay up, a
lot."

weee! fun times! At some point there was fairly serious talk of moving
the FIOS product into the last-mile offering for 701 customers as
well, guess that didn't happen? :( Seems, to me at least, like the PON
technology would be a win/win for large ISP customers... easy upgrade
paths (dial-on-demand-bandwidth almost?) and simple CPE deployments:
"Ethernet? sure it's available!"

-chris