technical contact at ATT Wireless

Owen DeLong owen at delong.com
Fri Jun 29 19:36:57 UTC 2012

> Let it be known that I hate NAT with the burning passion of a million
> suns. But I'm the junior in my workplace, and this is the advice of
> the head honchos. I can easily see both sides of this. I would say
> with a few implementations, (maybe 25 or fewer) NATing isn't that
> difficult.
>
> Granted we both know that NAT breaks basically everything and makes
> troubleshooting a TON MORE FUN. But plenty of people out there (my
> workplace included) would argue this till the cows come home.

Yep... While this environment would benefit greatly from deploying IPv6 on both sides of the connection, the reality is that NAT is easy enough and works well enough for the implementor that they will leave it's various pain points for the people that have to deal with it after implementation and they won't select IPv6 as a solution because it would involve slightly more pain up front.

However, the networks on both sides of these equations will have to face IPv6 in the relatively near future anyway, unless they aren't actually talking to the internet in which case, it doesn't really matter what addresses or protocols they use.

Owen