IPv6 /64 links (was Re: ipv6 book recommendations?)

Masataka Ohta mohta at necom830.hpcl.titech.ac.jp
Tue Jun 19 13:28:11 UTC 2012

Owen DeLong wrote:

> Showing that you don't actually understand what everyone else means when
> they say "end-to-end".

Where is your point only to demonstrate that you don't understand
what"end to end" means?

> No carrier is going to implement that for obvious reasons.
>
> Besides, that's not transparent end-to-end, that's predictably opaque
> end-to-end.

With no reasoning of you, I can simply say:

	WRONG

>> UPnP provides information for clients to restore IP and TCP
>> headers from local ones back to global ones, which is visible
>> to applications.

> But it doesn't work across multiple layers of NAT.

It is trivially easy to make UPnP works across multiple layers
of UPnP capable NAT.

> Now, redraw the diagram for the real world scenario:
>
> host <-> UPnP NAT <-> Carrier NAT <-> Internet <-> Carrier NAT <-> UPnP NAT <-> host
>
> Tell me again how the application signaling from UPnP survives through all that and comes up with correct answers?

It is trivially:

	host <-> home UPnP NAT <-> Carrier UPnP NAT <-> Internet
	<-> Carrier UPnP NAT <-> home UPnP NAT <-> host

						Masataka Ohta