IPv6 /64 links (was Re: ipv6 book recommendations?)

Owen DeLong owen at delong.com
Wed Jun 13 13:34:49 UTC 2012

On Jun 12, 2012, at 10:47 PM, Masataka Ohta wrote:

> Dave Hart wrote:
>
>> It is
>> not transparent when you have to negotiate an inbound path for each
>> service.
>
> I mean, for applications, global address and global port
> numbers are visible.

Showing that you don't actually understand what everyone else means when
they say "end-to-end".

>> UPnP
>> is inadequate for carrier NAT due to its model assuming the NAT trusts
>> its clients.
>
> UPnP gateway configured with purely static port mapping needs
> no security.
>
> Assuming shared global address of 131.112.32.132, TCP/UDP port
> 100 to 199 may be forwarded to port 100 to 199 of 192.168.1.1,
> port 200 to 299 be forwarded to port 200 to 299 of 192.168.1.2,

No carrier is going to implement that for obvious reasons.

Besides, that's not transparent end-to-end, that's predictably opaque
end-to-end.

>> When TCP headers are being rewritten, it's a strong hint that
>> transparency has been lost, even if some communication remains
>> possible.
>
> UPnP provides information for clients to restore IP and TCP
> headers from local ones back to global ones, which is visible
> to applications.

But it doesn't work across multiple layers of NAT.

> See the following protocol stack.
>
>    UPnP capable NAT GW                              Client
>                                                   +---------+
>                                                   | public  |
>                                                   |  appli- |
>                                                   | cation  |
>                              information          +---------+
>                +------+  for reverse translation  | public  |
>                | UPnP |-------------------------->|transport|
>   +---------+---------+                           +---------+
>   | public  | private |                           | private |
>   |transport|transport|                           |transport|
>   +---------+---------+        +---------+        +---------+
>   | public  | private |        | private |        | private |
>   |   IP    |   IP    |        |   IP    |        |   IP    |
>             |   privatte datalink   |   private datalink    |

Now, redraw the diagram for the real world scenario:

host <-> UPnP NAT <-> Carrier NAT <-> Internet <-> Carrier NAT <-> UPnP NAT <-> host

Tell me again how the application signaling from UPnP survives through all that and comes up with correct answers?

Yeah, thought so.

Owen