MD5 considered harmful

harbor235 harbor235 at gmail.com
Tue Jan 31 13:42:22 UTC 2012

My thoughts are that you should filter traffic routed directly to your BGP
speaking devices, traffic routing through a edge device and to an edge
device are treated differently. BGP session protection using a MD5 password
by itself is not securing the control plane, but it is a component of an
overall secure edge posture. For example, md5 protection, plus edge
filtering polices, plus ttl security, plus .........,  make for a more
secure edge.

Also, It does not matter how many attempts compromising a BGP session
occurs, it only takes
one, so why not nail it down.

Mike