Route Management Best Practices

Mark Tinka mtinka at globaltransit.net
Tue Jan 31 06:38:32 UTC 2012

On Tuesday, January 31, 2012 01:01:30 AM Joe Marr wrote:

> I currently use static routes and tags on my edge routers
> to inject route into BGP. The tags correspond to
> communities that reflect how the routes are announced
> per region.

> I would love to heat from others on how they handle this.

We originate our allocations from our route reflectors. The
route reflectors make sense for a number of reasons, e.g.,
they're always up, they aren't doing anything else, they
aren't in the forwarding path, they aren't reachable from
outside our AS, they're few enough to manage scalably,
e.t.c.

Like you, we attach communities to all originated
allocations as the route reflector is announcing them to all
iBGP neighbors, and those communities are used to determine
how the routes are announced to peers, upstreams and
customers.

The problem with originating your routes at the edge
(peering or customers) is you'll likely have more of these
routers than route reflectors, so redundancy management of
route origination will become a huge problem.

Also, failure of your edge routers is probably more likely
than your route reflectors just by the very nature of their
functions. This is why most advice is not to originate
routes on routers that are providing inter-AS connectivity,
as it could lead to blackholes due to backhaul link failure.

Cheers,

Mark.