US DOJ victim letter

Jon Lewis jlewis at lewis.org
Fri Jan 27 20:23:00 UTC 2012

On Fri, 27 Jan 2012, Bryan Horstmann-Allen wrote:

> +------------------------------------------------------------------------------
> | On 2012-01-27 18:12:16, Carlos Alcantar wrote:
> |
> | Today it looks like we have received the letter from the DOJ which gives
> | us login information, for listing of ip's within our network that where
> | affected with date and time stamps.  Anyone else get these yet?
>
> I have. The login doesn't work (for me). htauth pops up on fbi.gov, creds don't
> auth.

Ours didn't work initially either.  Eventually it did.

> Bit odd, if it's a phish. Even more odd if it's actually from the Fed.

It's definitely real, but seems like they're handling it as incompetently
as possible.  We got numerous copies to the same email address, the logins
didn't work initially.  The phone numbers given are of questionable
utility.  Virtually no useful information was provided.  My attitude at
this point is, ignore it until they provide some useful information.

  Jon Lewis, MCP :)           |  I route
  Atlantic Net                |