juniper mx80 vs cisco asr 1000

George Bonser gbonser at seven.com
Wed Jan 25 00:45:41 UTC 2012

> We looked at their CER/CES line back in 2009/2010 when we were scoping
> for kit to deploy our MPLS In The Access topology.
>
> That time, the box only did 512,000 entries in the FIB, but clearly the
> newer iron has had an upgrade on the inside :-).
> This is good!
>
> Inevitably, we settled for Cisco's ME3600X, after realizing we didn't
> need to carry a full table in the Access (and could still provide IP
> Transit services in the Access easily), and at the time, even though
> the Cisco was much newer, the mid-term feature road map was better.
>
> Mark.

That upgrade is for the -RT only, not the standard unit.  I suggested they provide four ports that would be standard GigE SFP ports that could be enabled for 10G SFP+ by license key in addition to the 2x10G expansion module. So if you had a unit with a capability of 6x10G and 12xGigE, it would be a killer little peering point switch in 1U of rack space.