juniper mx80 vs cisco asr 1000

Mark Tinka mtinka at globaltransit.net
Tue Jan 24 18:58:16 UTC 2012

On Wednesday, January 25, 2012 02:24:28 AM George Bonser
wrote:

> You might get by these days at a peering point with
> something smaller if you are a smaller network and don't
> need a lot of 10G.  Something like a Brocade CER-RT
> series.  A 1U box with 136 Gbps of throughput that will
> handle 1.5 million v4 routes in FIB and 256k v6 routes.
> Sips power, doesn't take up a lot of space, has up to 48
> GigE ports but only 2x10G.  If they had a model with
> 6x10G, it would be a killer little box.

We looked at their CER/CES line back in 2009/2010 when we
were scoping for kit to deploy our MPLS In The Access
topology.

That time, the box only did 512,000 entries in the FIB, but
clearly the newer iron has had an upgrade on the inside :-).
This is good!

Inevitably, we settled for Cisco's ME3600X, after realizing
we didn't need to carry a full table in the Access (and
could still provide IP Transit services in the Access
easily), and at the time, even though the Cisco was much
newer, the mid-term feature road map was better.

Mark.