Megaupload.com seized

Matthew Kaufman matthew at matthew.at
Sun Jan 22 04:49:42 UTC 2012

On 1/21/2012 12:19 PM, George Bonser wrote:
> I agree, Mike. Problem is that the communications infrastructure that
> enables these sorts of options is generally so reliable people don't
> think about what will happen if something happens between them and
> their data that takes out their access to those services. Imagine a
> situation where several municipal governments in, say, Santa Cruz
> County, California are using such services and there is a repeat of
> the Loma Prieta quake. Their data survives in Santa Clara county,
> their city offices survive but there is considerable damage to
> infrastructure and structures in their jurisdiction. But the
> communications is cut off between them and their data and time to
> repair is unknown. The city is now without email service....

But fortunately the data is also replicated in another data center
nowhere near the quake, so once they pull out the mobile emergency
operations center and aim the VSAT dish, they're back online with
everything as it was moments before the quake hit... far superior to
what formerly happened when the power or phone lines were down at their
own facility, never mind what would have happened if their own facility
with its infrequent backups to unreliable tape were destroyed.

Matthew Kaufman