Programmers with network engineering skills

Michael Thomas mike at
Mon Feb 27 20:30:57 CST 2012

On 02/27/2012 06:23 PM, Randy Bush wrote:
> programming is not being able to write a hundred lines of unreadable
> perl.
> a real programmer can be productive in networking tools in a matter of a
> month or two.  i have seen it multiple times.
> a networker can become a useful real progammer in a year or three.

I agree. Programmers aren't born understanding some fields and not
others. In my case, I didn't have a clue about networking coming out
of school but picked it up because I thought it was neat, and there
was something intoxicating about the smell of the printed out RFC's.

Mike, weird i know