Nxdomain redirect revenue

John Levine johnl at iecc.com
Tue Sep 27 18:31:34 UTC 2011

>It's not legal for an ISP to modify computer data.  Especially
>digitally signed data.  That's a criminal offense.

It is indeed illegal to break into someone's else's computer and
tamper with the data therein.

It is frankly ridiculous to try to apply that law to data in your own
equipment.  If you think computer tampering laws apply to the
operation of one's own DNS cache, provide case law.

For case law confirming that similar language in the Stored
Communication Act doesn't apply to data on your own equipment, see the
recently dismissed cases of Holomaxx vs. Microsoft and Holomaxx
vs. Yahoo.

R's,
John

PS: Can we stop playing Junior Lawyer now?