Nxdomain redirect revenue

William Allen Simpson william.allen.simpson at gmail.com
Tue Sep 27 17:45:24 UTC 2011

On 9/27/11 11:41 AM, Rubens Kuhl wrote:
> On Tue, Sep 27, 2011 at 11:48 AM,<Valdis.Kletnieks at vt.edu>  wrote:
>> On Tue, 27 Sep 2011 10:20:25 EDT, William Allen Simpson said:
>>
>>> It's not legal for an ISP to modify computer data.  Especially
>>> digitally signed data.  That's a criminal offense.
>>
>> Citation?
>
> Could tampering with DNSSEC and/or TLS fall into DMCA grounds ?

Good thought, but I was thinking more along the lines of UETA and
E-SIGN, along with the usual criminal penalties for forgery and
fraud (and intent to defraud).

I'm pretty sure those are state by state.

On the US Federal level, there's 18 USC 2511 - Interception and
disclosure of wire, oral, or electronic communications prohibited.

In any case, there's plenty of law to choose, we simply need a solid
test case.  Family members are Wide Open West (WOW) subscribers, and
they are listed among the miscreant companies that Heather linked.
I'd happily be a plaintiff based on my use of their network, but we
probably need some actual affected subscribers.