XSServer / Taking down a spam friendly provider

William Herrin bill at herrin.us
Thu Oct 27 19:46:33 UTC 2011

On Thu, Oct 27, 2011 at 1:52 AM, William Pitcock
<nenolod at systeminplace.net> wrote:
> On Wed, 26 Oct 2011 20:22:53 -0400
> Chris <caldcv at gmail.com> wrote:
>> This is a huge business. Shady "SEO" companies are charging
>> individuals at least $250 per month to use their spam tools of choice
>> to spam forums and Wordpress blogs. I got one of the major players on
>> the run right now because he cannot seem to keep his "business page"
>> hosted with a company longer than a few weeks and I keep playing
>> whack-a-mole with him.
>
> McColo and Atrivo were not terminated because of spam.  If you believe
> they are, then you are simply misinformed.  Atrivo and McColo were
> terminated over their network being used extensively for botnet
> control centers.

William,

Atrivo and McColo were terminated _late_.

As an industry, might we not consider finding a reasonable way to do a
more effective job identifying and dealing with shops who can't seem
to keep out the customers who use those facilities to hurt and abuse
the rest of us? If we fail to adequately self-regulate, the courts and
entities like the U.S. Congress will surely find a way to do it for
us. And they won't care nearly as much about the technical constraints
as we do.

I make no judgment about XSServer and offer no solution. I merely
suggest that Chris has posed a legitimate operational problem that our
community may wish to redress while the while the details of such a
choice are still in our hands.

Regards,
Bill Herrin

Falls Church, VA 22042-3004