XSServer / Taking down a spam friendly provider

Kyle Creyts kyle.creyts at gmail.com
Sun Oct 30 20:52:24 UTC 2011

I would agree that at the moment, we exist in what is supposed to be a
"self-policing" community. How long will it stay so, if livelihoods are
jeopardized?

Some are paid to move bits, and consider that their only obligation. Others
are charged with operating services that are impacted by the aforementioned
types of pollution. But each party cannot exist without the other, at the
end of the day; the economic relationship between the two, at some level,
makes this a shared problem.

While bit-movers _may not_ have an explicit and direct business reason to
aid in reducing the pollution in the community, as members of the
community, is it not our collective responsibility to work against those
polluting it?

It is disrespectful, IMHO, to those who worked so hard to make this
communal resource the shared treasure it is, for us to neglect the duty to
protect and care for it.

I understand that not everyone feels that it should be policed. I have
respect for those who feel this way. To me, this is a complicated
ecosystem, and we are its custodians, responsible for its continued health
and function.

Who among you do not have a custodial relationship with some network or
inter-networking? Do none of you feel a responsibility to maintain it for
those who will come after you?

As a part of ensuring the continued function of our ecosystem, in light of
the reality of this pollution, I think ensuring the integrity of our
individual administrative domains, and working with others, in some
capacity, to ensure the health and integrity of their own, is paramount.

I would make a reference to the way we have treated and are treating our
planet, but the analogy is tired. I do fear that some day, the 'way we
treated the internet' will be a similarly tired metaphor.

-k