Bandwidth Upgrade

Scott Weeks surfer at mauigateway.com
Thu Nov 17 23:21:25 UTC 2011

--- dwbielawa at liberty.edu wrote:
From: "Bielawa, Daniel Walter" <dwbielawa at liberty.edu>

My team is in the process of putting some documentation together to justify
a bandwidth upgrade. I am asking if you would be willing to reply back to me,
with how you decide that it is time to upgrade your bandwidth. On-line or
off-line reply's will be acceptable.

Empirical data rules; WAGs don't...  ;-)  If you have a year's worth of traffic graphed, extrapolate the growth to find out when you will hit about 85%-90% of the capacity of the circuit at peak load.  Find out how long the providers in your area take to turn up a circuit of the type and size you need.  Then work backwards from there, so that the circuit is in production when you hit that percentage of utilization.  Your particular numbers will depend on your growth rate.

scott