IPv6 foot-dragging

George Bonser gbonser at seven.com
Wed May 11 19:36:00 UTC 2011

I agree that seconds sometimes matters, but the latency of a transaction
doesn't have a linear relationship with radio or battery usage on a
mobile device. Because of the timers involved in the state transitions
(eg CELL_FACH -> CELL_DCH), a few seconds of extra latency often is
inconsequential because there is a minimum duration for which the radio
will stay awake anyways. Coalescing techniques like Android's
setInexactRepeating method of the Alarm Manager also optimize radio
access across multiple apps.

Not every device out there is an android.  Not every OS on every device
handles connections the same way.  Problems can compound if several
different names must be looked up in order to get a complete page view.
Are your images served from a different name?  Do you have short TTLs
that require names to be looked up frequently?   Again, every network is
going to have their own unique sets of issues.  But until there are more
eyeballs out there that are native v6, we aren't going to see a lot of
movement.