IPv6 foot-dragging

Iljitsch van Beijnum iljitsch at muada.com
Wed May 11 19:43:01 UTC 2011

On 11 mei 2011, at 20:39, George Bonser wrote:

>> So what's the alternative? Never change anything?

> Of course not.  But the best course forward is going to be different for
> different folks.  What might work best for me might not (probably WILL
> not) work best for everyone else.  One has to look at their situation
> and plan the best path for their business with their architecture and
> the resources they have available to them.  I suggested one option but
> that might not work for others.

I find it strange that you approach this issue as one of the great questions of our time. If you don't want to enable IPv6 for your service at this time, then don't enable IPv6 for your service at this time. But you'll have to do it at some point, so doing it together with your competitors and/or big players seems like a good choice. Going through huge lengths to optimize for a problem that will only exist for a couple of years or so doesn't make sense to me. Also, all this special case logic has a nasty tendency to create all kinds of unexpected problems down the road. I'm sure that the people at Microsoft thought it was a swell idea to enable 6to4 by default. If they hadn't done that, they'd saved us all a lot of wasted time.