Announcing Project BISMark: ISP Performance Measurements from Home Routers

Nick Feamster feamster at cc.gatech.edu
Tue Jun 28 15:06:37 UTC 2011

Hi Alex,

On Jun 28, 2011, at 6:30 AM, Alex Brooks wrote:

> Is this similar to the UK (Ofcom, http://www.ofcom.org.uk/) and US
> (FCC, http://www.fcc.gov/) regulators scheme that is being run by Sam
> Knows at http://www.samknows.com/broadband/test_my_isp and
> http://www.samknows.com/broadband/broadband_performance ?

Yes, it's very closely related, and we've been in close contact with them (we have a paper upcoming at SIGCOMM that is based on the US data that we've jointly authored).

One of the differences is that the platform is open / open-source.  For example, anyone would be able to develop and run their own tests from the box.

Another difference is that we're looking into a variety of other things (e.g., measurements of performance inside the home, deployments in other regions, maybe ultimately passive measurements if we can figure out how to balance the more sensitive aspects of that).  Our goal is to have some sets of tests that are running/could be run on either platform.  We're interested in helping to improve the tests that are run on the SK routers, as well.

-Nick