Address Assignment Question

David Miller dmiller at tiggee.com
Mon Jun 20 21:47:00 UTC 2011

On 6/20/2011 11:26 AM, Jérôme Nicolle wrote:
> < SNIP />
> Unless many contiguous blocks are assigned as different objects : a
> RBL must NOT presume of one end-user's inetnum unless it has been
> cathed doing nasty things AND didn't comply to abuse@ requests.

An RBL *can* do whatever an RBL wants to do.

An RBL *can* block an entire allocation for whatever reason they chose
including - a single spam message with no requests sent to abuse@ or any
contact of any kind with the group allocated the space.

The only "control" over an RBL is their desire to remain relevant by
preserving an opinion of accuracy in the minds of end users.  If end
users believe that an RBL is no longer meeting their needs, then they
will stop using that RBL.

> But most RBL managers are shitheads anyway, so help them evade,
> that'll be one more proof of spamhaus&co. uselessness and negative
> impact on the Internet's best practices.

OK.  I'll bite.  What particular "internet best practices" are Spamhaus
trampling on?

-DMM