Cogent depeers ESnet

George B. georgeb at gmail.com
Sun Jun 19 22:48:32 UTC 2011

On Sun, Jun 19, 2011 at 2:47 PM,  <Valdis.Kletnieks at vt.edu> wrote:
> On Sun, 19 Jun 2011 03:15:09 CDT, Robert Bonomi said:
>
>> Anybody got draft language for a SLA clause that requires routing 'at least
>> one hop _past_ the provider's network edge' for every AS visible at major
>> public peering points and/or LookingGlass sites?
>
> *every* ASN? Oh my. ;)

I would qualify that a bit to say "every ASN available at every
peering point at which the provider appears".  So if the provider
appears at an Equinix peering point, there is no excuse for not
providing connectivity to every other ASN also at that same peering
point by some means.  Cogent seems to want to play a game where they
not only don't want to peer directly with a number of networks, they
also don't want to use any transit to reach those with which it
doesn't peer, forcing the other side to use transit to reach them.
Interesting gamble but probably not providing the intended result.  It
just ends up selling transit to the competition as people multi-home
instead of being single-homed to Cogent.

Cogent probably is the single largest seller of competitors' services.