ICANN to allow commercial gTLDs

Joel Jaeggli joelja at bogus.com
Sat Jun 18 01:48:25 UTC 2011

On Jun 17, 2011, at 3:13 PM, Jay Ashworth wrote:

> [...]

All fully qualified domain names have a trailing dot so that you know where the root is. At least as parsed internally by your resolver...

:~ jjaeggli$ dig com

; <<>> DiG 9.6.0-APPLE-P2 <<>> com
;; global options: +cmd
;; Got answer:
;; flags: qr rd ra; QUERY: 1, ANSWER: 0, AUTHORITY: 1, ADDITIONAL: 0

;; QUESTION SECTION:
;com.				IN	A

;; AUTHORITY SECTION:
com.			705	IN	SOA	a.gtld-servers.net. nstld.verisign-grs.com. 1308361302 1800 900 604800 86400

;; Query time: 257 msec
;; SERVER: 192.168.46.1#53(192.168.46.1)
;; WHEN: Fri Jun 17 18:45:34 2011
;; MSG SIZE  rcvd: 94

yeah code based on faulty assumptions is going to break, it generally does... one semi-related anecdote, Last time I ran an ietf meeting that did dynamic dns registration (circa 2005), some people discovered the corprate firewalls would let them in if the reverse entry for their ip address was in the form host.domain.meeting.ietf.org, clearly that's really hard to subvert.