ICANN to allow commercial gTLDs

Jay Ashworth jra at baylink.com
Fri Jun 17 22:13:42 UTC 2011

----- Original Message -----
> From: "Patrick W. Gilmore" <patrick at ianai.net>

> As for calling ICANN stupid, thinking this will help fracture the
> 'Net, I think you are all confused. I think the NANOG community has
> become (OK, always was) a bit of an echo chamber. Trust me when I say
> we are the minority. Most people think very differently, and we better
> accept that if we hope to affect things outside our little group.

We may be the minority, but my experience is we have a pretty good record
at spotting where the pinch points might come up in proposed expansions/
changes.

http://apple/ is going to break a bunch of shit.

(Ok, it might or might not break actual browsers, but I have seen "require at
least one dot or assume it's not a domain name" in *lots* of code; the
inability to put sjobs at apple in your address book will not be popular.)

Interstate-level traffic engineering types are not a big political bloc,
either... but no one ignores them when building Interstates.

Cheers,
-- jra