ICANN to allow commercial gTLDs

Jay Ashworth jra at baylink.com
Sat Jun 18 00:33:08 UTC 2011

----- Original Message -----
> From: "John Levine" <johnl at iecc.com>

> I happen to agree that adding vast numbers of new TLDs is a terrible
> idea more for administrative and social than technical reasons, but
> this is the first you've heard about it, you really haven't been
> paying attention.

John, yes, I've been paying attention to the TLD space since Chris Ambler
*first* put in his .web proposal -- what is that; 15 years now?  20?

This is the first I've heard of *the possibility of TLD registrars being
end-user internal/exclusive*.

People have made jokes about company TLDs in the past, sure, but no, I
never heard any specific discussion about it actually happening; I invite
citations.

Cheers,
-- jra