ICANN to allow commercial gTLDs

John Levine johnl at iecc.com
Fri Jun 17 23:29:51 UTC 2011

>Notwithstanding that, globally resolvable valid DNS names *with no dots
>in them* are going to break a fair amount of software which assumes that's
>an invalid case, and that is in fact a *different* situation, not triggered
>by the expansion of the *generic* gTLD space.

Just to be sure I understand, you're saying that since you haven't
been paying attention until now, nobody else in the entire world could
possible have thought about this?

I happen to agree that adding vast numbers of new TLDs is a terrible
idea more for administrative and social than technical reasons, but
this is the first you've heard about it, you really haven't been
paying attention.

R's,
John