Yup; the Internet is screwed up.

Jeroen van Aart jeroen at mompl.net
Sat Jun 11 00:59:38 UTC 2011

Valdis.Kletnieks at vt.edu wrote:
> So the *actual* numbers are much worse than the FCC numbers.

Be that as it may, when I moved to the States I had to give up DSL back
in the Netherlands. But since I got flat rate dialup in return in the
USA it wasn't such a big deal, for me the internet worked just fine on
56K dialup between 2002 and 2006. The reason I really wanted DSL in the
first place is to get rid of those excessive phone bills. Increased
speed was just an added bonus.

Since most countries do not offer flat rate local phone calls I'd say
that makes it a more urgent matter for them to move to broadband.

Maybe flat rate local phone calls is one of the reasons broadband lags
behind here. Because your bills actually increase with broadband. From a
mere $10 to something like $30 and up per month. That's a considerable
difference for many households.

Greetings,
Jeroen

--