Yup; the Internet is screwed up.

Valdis.Kletnieks at vt.edu Valdis.Kletnieks at vt.edu
Sat Jun 11 00:07:34 UTC 2011

On Fri, 10 Jun 2011 16:43:39 PDT, Jeroen van Aart said:
> Jay Ashworth wrote:
> > Even Cracked realizes this:
> >
> >   http://www.cracked.com/blog/5-reasons-internet-access-in-america-disaster
> >
> > That can't be good.
>
> <ignorant?>
>
> "up to 10 percent of the country can't even get basic broadband"
>
> I think I saw much larger numbers a few years ago when I read some hype
> stories about how broadband access in the USA sucks. I am positively
> surprised the gap has narrowed that much.

The FCC numbers say "10% can't get it", computed on a per-county basis. However,
if *one* person in one corner of the county closest to a major city can get broadband,
then *everybody in the county* is counted as "can get broadband" by the FCC, even if
99.8% of them are 15 or 20 cable miles away from actually getting anything usable.

So the *actual* numbers are much worse than the FCC numbers.