Writable SNMP

Keegan Holley keegan.holley at sungard.com
Tue Dec 6 16:07:44 UTC 2011

For a few years now I been wondering why more networks do not use writable
SNMP.  Most automation solutions actually script a login to the various
equipment.  This comes with extra code for different vendors, different
prompts and any quirk that the developer is aware of and constant patches
as new ones come up.  Writable SNMP seems like an easier way to deal with
scripted configuration changes as well as information gathering.
Admittedly, you will have to deal with proprietary mibs and reformat the
data once it's returned.  Most people consider it insecure, but in reality
it's no worse than any other management protocol.  Yes I know netconf is
better, but in most circles I'd have problems explaining what netconf is,
why it's better and that I'm not making it up.  So I'll take what I can get.