Looking for a Tier 1 ISP Mentor for career advice.

Scott Weeks surfer at mauigateway.com
Sat Dec 3 21:14:49 UTC 2011

------- bonomi at mail.r-bonomi.com wrote: -------
 "Scott Weeks" <surfer at mauigateway.com> wrote:
> bmanning at vacation.karoshi.com wrote:
>>
>>     actually, i've heard the real reason is corporate liability ...
>>     that said, there is an advantage for team f2f mtgs on a periodic
>>     basis.
>
> I don't follow.  Could you elaborate?  What is the liability?

I don't know for certain, but I expect "work at home' employeees fall under
the scope of the employers "Workmans Compenstation" liability covrerage,
with regard to injuries sustained "on the job".

Now, consider what happens if the employee sustains an 'on the job' injury,
due to something in the 'workplace' (done by the homeowner on his own time)
that is _NOT_ "OHSA-compliant".

Well, if that's a big issue for companies and managers it seems like
something easy to write up in the contract for work.  Even other things
they worry about could be written to protect them and I think we'd still
sign up if we didn't have to up root our lives to do work we enjoy.  That
is unless the gov't forces companies to treat the home as a workplace when
telecommuting.  I still have the sneaking suspicion that many managers
don't feel they have enough control when one telecommutes as well as the
other things discussed in this thread.

scott

  'A large quantity of organic waste/byproducts forcefully impacted the
   high-speed rotary impeller."

I'm going to steal that one...  :-)