IP addresses are now assets

Owen DeLong owen at delong.com
Fri Dec 2 23:01:56 UTC 2011

On Dec 2, 2011, at 2:56 PM, Valdis.Kletnieks at vt.edu wrote:

> On Fri, 02 Dec 2011 12:37:29 MST, joshua sahala said:
>> the speculative market exists and is growing, why do certain factions
>> of the community keep trying to pretend that it doesn't?
>
> I'm sure at least some of those factions pretend it doesn't because admitting
> it does would be a game changer.  I'm sure that *somebody* has a business model
> that assumes the non-existence of the speculatie market.  And everybody knows
> that you never admit the business model is crap until *after* the IPO. ;)

I admit it exists, but, I think it is currently relatively small and would hate to provide
it any additional incentives to grow. I think it has the potential to be very harmful
to the IPv4 internet in general. As long as it is relatively small, it's like a mosquito.
Turning it into a B-17 would be bad.

Just my $0.02.

Owen