assume v6 available, average cost to implement

Pete Carah pete at altadena.net
Wed Aug 3 19:53:10 UTC 2011

On 08/03/2011 11:14 AM, brunner at nic-naa.net wrote:
> Folks,
>
> In the never ending game of policy whack-a-mole, we are offered the claim that
> that the cost to a small to medium business to make its operational purpose
> v6 address enabled is in the mid-five figures.
>
> For those of you who do smb consults, some numbers to make a hypothetical
> shop consisting of a quarter rack of gear running nothing more goofy than
> a couple of applications on a couple of ports, basicially, a dbms plus a
> bit of gorp, say in central Kansas, to which some provider, say Kansas
> Telekenesis and Telefriend has just made v6 happy.
>
> Having renumbered hq.af.mil some time ago, I'm expecting the 50k bogie to
> add colons to some retail insurance office or mortuary in central Kansas
> to be on the exceedingly good dope high side.
>
> Thanks in advance for real numbers, which I'll sanitize before using to
> attmept to keep one policy playpen slightly less crazy than normal.

I have dual-stacked 4 networks so far, 3 small (soekris freebsd router)
and one larger (3 7206vxr, all border+core).  The first small one
started with the soekris in v4-only (comcast), added a tunnel and then
took a week or two of evenings to straighten out.  The second (also
comcast v4-only) changed out a netscreen to the soekris when we
multihomed, then added a v6 tunnel and dual-stacked all 10 internal
vlans; this took a few days of my time spread over a week or two (never
v6-enabled the xp or win2003 systems, though.  Linux, BSD, and
vista+win7 all "just worked".  I'm not sure if samba is properly
v6-configured yet but it doesn't (so far) matter).  The third small one
took one evening (it was a duplicate of the first small one, both
single-homed home systems with soekris freebsd routers.)

The 7206 one is still progressing without (so far) a v6 IGP, and only a
few vlans actually dual-stacked.  It does have BGP6 working on two of
the borders (and ibgp to all 3) so the system is native and not tunneled
(except for one remote location with a v4-only T1 connection).

So the most for a "small business" size system was the home one with the
learning curve at maybe 2 weeks of evenings (probably 30 hours).  The
last was probably 4.

-- Pete